Sova is an Initiator character so he’s great at setting up fights. His abilities allow him to get his team a little bit of extra information so they know exactly what they’re up against. His signature ability is Recon Bolt, which allows him to find enemy positions, making Sova strong on both Attack and Defense. Even if his scan comes up empty, you can still use it to narrow down the enemy’s location.
While he excels at scouting, Sova’s got plenty of other abilities that make him strong, here’s a look at each one and a few tips on how to use them.
Ability: Shock Bolt
Fire an explosive bolt that emits a damaging pulse of static energy upon impact.
- Sova’s Shock Bolt is great at clearing areas you can’t see. If you’re moving toward a site, the easiest thing to do is think about where you would stand if you were trying to defend the site, and shoot an arrow at that location.
- This arrow does quite a bit of damage, but it isn’t enough to kill a full health player, so you shouldn’t use it as a weapon replacement. Instead, it’s best to use this to soften targets from far away, rather than fighting them directly.
Ability: Owl Drone
Deploy a pilotable drone that can fire a dart that will Reveal enemies who are hit.
- While you’re using the Owl, Sova will stand still, so it’s important to make sure you’re in a safe area of the map before you jump into the drone.
- It’s often a good idea to have a teammate follow your drone a few steps behind. If an enemy player shoots the drone they won’t be ready when your teammate walks in behind it.
Signature Ability: Recon Bolt
Fire a bolt that deploys a sonar emitter. The sonar pings tag nearby enemies, causing them to be revealed. Can be destroyed.
- This ability can’t see players through walls, so you have to make sure the area you want revealed is within the arrow’s line of sight.
- The Recon Bolt can bounce up to two times by using the alternate fire — right click by default. This means you can bounce it off of walls to reach areas that might not be safe to fire it directly into.
- This ability recharges after a short period of time, allowing you to use it multiple times per round.
Ultimate: Hunter’s Fury
Fire up to three deadly energy blasts that spear across the map. Each hit enemy takes heavy damage and is marked.
- While your Ultimate is equipped, you can see a preview of where it will go on the minimap. It goes through walls, but you still have to make sure the height of the shot is correct. Try to remember which parts of the map are elevated and which parts aren’t before firing.
- Hunter’s Fury can be great for picking up a kill, but it’s even better for denying an area. If you know the enemy players are trying to get out of a door, the Ultimate can prevent them from getting out while your team advances. Even better, if you plant the Spike, you can use Hunter’s Fury to stop the enemy team from defusing while you’re standing a safe distance away.
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Vox Media may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our ethics policy.