Tag Archives: kyoto

Japanese News Station Apologizes After Misquote About Kyoto Animation Fire Victim

Screenshot: Fuji TV
Kotaku EastEast is your slice of Asian internet culture, bringing you the latest talking points from Japan, Korea, China and beyond. Tune in every morning from 4am to 8am.  

Fuji TV, one of Japan’s largest television networks, has apologized after an unfortunate misquote that called director Yasuhiro Takemoto an “idiot.” Takemoto was one of the victims of last month’s tragic Kyoto Animation fire.

Yasuhiro Takemoto helmed some of Kyoto Animation’s most popular anime. The 47-year-old took over directing duties for Lucky Star and would go on to direct the feature film The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya as well as the 2017 anime series Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid. Authorities have confirmed that Takemoto was among the victims claimed by the fire.

On Fuji TV’s Live News it! program, one of Takemoto’s high school classmates was interviewed. The classmate said, “There isn’t a genius like him.”

Screenshot: Fuji TV (Edit by Kotaku)

You can see the quote at the bottom of the screen in white text. The classmate used the word tensai (天才), which means “genius” or “prodigy.” The word is used twice in the original quote.

However, in the upper right corner, the quote attributed to his classmate is incorrect and reads, “There isn’t an idiot like him.” The text reads aho (アホ), which means “idiot” or “fool” in the Kansai dialect.

These two words are not easily mixed up. They are even written in different scripts, with tensai being written in kanji and aho being written in katakana. As in English, typos do happen in Japanese, but the typical ones have incorrect kanji characters for a word. This is not the mistake that happened here.

As Daily Sports reports, during the middle of the broadcast, news anchor Takeshi Okudera said, “We have an apology and a correction.” The anchor explained that there was a mistake in the onscreen text, adding that it should have read tensai (genius). He then apologized for the mistake.

Source: Kotaku.com

The Nintendo Live Gaming Expo Will Be This October In Kyoto

Screenshot: Nintendo

This October, Nintendo will once again hold a dedicated game expo in Kyoto, Japan. It’s called Nintendo Live 2019 Kyoto.

Last year’s event was called Nintendo Live 2018 Tokyo and was held in, wait for it, Tokyo.

The expo will have game tournaments, stage events and playable demos of new games. Included in the stage events are a Splatoon music show and a Super Mario Maker 2 stage show with the Osaka comedy duo Yoiko, which includes Shinya Arino of Game Center CX fame.

Included in the game tournaments are Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Maker 2. The winners of a Nintendo Labo contest will also be on display.

The playable demos have not been yet announced.

Nintendo Live might remind longtime Nintendo fans of the Space World expos, which were held from 1989 to 2001. Nintendo does not attend the Tokyo Game Show so Nintendo Live might be a good way for the company to connect with its fans in Japan.

Nintendo Live 2019 Kyoto will be held on October 13 and 14 at the Kyoto International Conference Center.

Source: Kotaku.com

Fans Mourn Following Kyoto Animation Tragedy

Screenshot: ANN
Kotaku EastEast is your slice of Asian internet culture, bringing you the latest talking points from Japan, Korea, China and beyond. Tune in every morning from 4am to 8am.  

Last week, a fire set at Kyoto Animation left dozens injured and 34 people dead. There has been an outpouring of support from fans around the world. In Kyoto, people have been bringing flowers in memory of those who lost their lives and praying for the injured.

As previously reported, people around the world have been posting under the #PrayForKyoani hashtag.

A stand has also been set up a 100 meters away from the studio to received the flowers, with people lining up to pay their respects.

According to Asahi, Kyoto Animation CEO Hideaki Hatta said, “I think the people who live around here don’t want to see this building.” Hatta added that he wanted the studio to be torn down. “The thinking being that, if possible, I’d like to make a park with a monument.”

Sentai Works has set up a fundraiser for Kyoto Animation. You can donate here.

Source: Kotaku.com

33 Confirmed Dead After Fire At Kyoto Animation, Suspected Arsonist In Custody [Updated]

Kotaku EastEast is your slice of Asian internet culture, bringing you the latest talking points from Japan, Korea, China and beyond. Tune in every morning from 4am to 8am.  

A fire, suspected to be arson, at a Kyoto, Japan animation studio has left at least 33 people dead and hospitalized more with injuries. A man in his 40s, allegedly seen pouring a flammable liquid at the site and setting it on fire, has been taken into police custody.

The fire occurred at the Studio 1 building of Kyoto Animation, one of Japan’s most popular producers of anime. At around 10 a.m. JST Thursday morning, residents living near the studio heard the sound of an explosion and saw smoke emitting from the building, which is located in Kyoto’s Fushimi ward. One witness said the suspect was screaming “Die” as he lit the fire.

Kyoto Animation, founded in 1981, is known for anime like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star, K-On! and more recently, Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid and Free!, among many others. While the building that was set on fire was its main animation studio, the company’s head office is in Uji City, Kyoto, which is about 20 minutes away by car.

The company’s co-founder and CEO Hideaki Hatta told reporters that for the past few years, death threats had often been sent to the company.

In the aftermath of the event, fans have posting messages, expressing sorrow and offering condolences using a #prayforkyoani hashtag on Twitter.

This developing story has been updated since its original publication. A list of updates is below.

Updated: 7/18/2019, 8:26 a.m. ET: Thirty-three people have been confirmed dead.

Updated: 7/18/2019, 7:09 a.m. ET: Twenty-five people have been confirmed dead.

Updated: 7/18/2019, 6:09 a.m. ET: Fans have posting messages, expressing sorrow and offering condolences using a #prayforkyoani hashtag on Twitter.

Updated: 7/18/2019, 5:18 a.m. ET: Kyoto Animation CEO Hideaki Hatta told reporters that for the past few years, death threats have often been sent to the company.

Updated: 7/18/2019, 4:36 a.m. ET: Sixteen people are now confirmed dead, the Japanese TV media reports.

Updated: 7/18/2019, 3:30 a.m. ET: An announcement scheduled tomorrow for Kyoto Animation’s new Free! movie has been canceled. [Editor’s note: This update originally stated that the movie had been canceled. It has not. We regret the error.]

Updated: 7/18/2019, 3:08 a.m. ET: The Japanese media is now reporting that seven people are confirmed dead.

Updated: 7/18/2019, 12:59 a.m. ET: One witness said the suspect was screaming “die” as he lit the fire.

Updated: 7/18/2019, 12:46 a.m. ET: According to Japanese TV news, there are still people trapped in the studio and there are 20 people who are still unaccounted for.

Earlier: Sankei News reported that 38 employees have been taken to the hospital for major and minor injuries. ANN added that nine people are unconscious. According to Kyoto Shimbun, one person is reported dead.

Source: Kotaku.com